The following information has been adapted from the Roth Motor's user's guide:
The motorboard requires regular maintenance. Assuming daily use, the motorboard wheels should be cleaned daily, the board should be cleaned and lubricated monthly and and internal cleaning (including the electronics) every couple of months.
The motorboard is an electronic device, like a laptop, mixer or electric garden tool, as such do NOT use a water hose, running water or water under pressure to clean the motorboard. Commercial cleaners may also degrade the plastic and rubber components. Others will leave a residue with will reduce friction between the motor spindle and the the wheel sidewall. The polyurethane wheel may be damaged by harsh chemicals.
Cleaning the tires
- Tires may also be cleaned with a soft cloth or sponge slightly dampened with 70% pure isopropyl alcohol. (Do not flood the tires with alcohol, which can thin the lubricant on the tire’s bearings.)
- Check to make sure that the tires are not too tight or loose.
- Using the enclosed Tire Gauge, always check for wear and tear, and replace worn-out or damaged tires as soon as possible.
Cleaning the frame
- Remove embedded dirt and debris using a soft bristled brush such as an old toothbrush. Pay special attention to pins, hinges, and spaces around the Folding Lever and Front Tire.
- Make a diluted solution of mild laundry detergent and water. Use one teaspoon laundry detergent to one gallon of water.
- Wipe aluminum, wood parts, and tires with a soft cloth or sponge that has been slightly dampened with a diluted solution of mild detergent and water.
Frame and wheel lubrication
- A couple drops of oil are sufficient to clean and lubricate the folding mechanism.
- Use just a drop or two of 3-in-1™ oil or 5w-30w synthetic motor oil on a Q-Tip™ to lubricate the spot where the Hinge Pin slides in and out of the locking position on each side of the Steering Head.
- Also apply just one drop of 3-in-1™ oil or 5w-30w synthetic motor oil at each pivot point.
It’s very important to use just a small amount of oil when lubricating the folding mechanism. Using excessive oil causes your Motorboard to become overly sticky, resulting in trapped dirt and grit. This excess dirt and grit can damage the unit. Also, conventional motor oil gets sticky very quickly compared to synthetic motor oil or 3-in-1™ brand oil.
- Clean and lubricate the steering mechanism by applying one drop of 3-in-1™ brand oil at each part of the Steering Hinge.
As with the folding mechanism, any excess lubricant can attract dirt and grit and damage the steering components.