motorboards.org Forum Index motorboards.org
A community forum dedicated to the Go Motorboard's 1500X, 2000X and 2000XR motorboards.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I didn't get 100 feet before the red light started blinking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    motorboards.org Forum Index -> Roth Go Motorboard Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: I didn't get 100 feet before the red light started blinking Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently bought the 2000x Motorboard on amazon. I received it, fully charged it the night before, then took it out for a spin. I turned it on and got the green light. I didn't get 100 feet before the red light started blinking and the scooter had no more power. Do I have a defective scooter? I know many consumers complained with similar issues, but I have a friend who has the scooter who loves it.

Any advice on how to fix this or should I just return it?

Thanks
Ben
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this happens the same with each charge, then the problem is probably an old battery. They must be replaced every two years or so. If each charge gets different mileage, then it is probably a loose connection.

Best wishes
Ben
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each charge gets a different mileage. How do I check for a lose connection and fix it?

Thanks so much for your help
Ben
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to remove the screws for the "motor shuttle". There is a link on "motorboards.org" how to do that
http://static2.shopify.com/s/files/1/0001/8661/files/Remove_Rear_Section.pdf

You need to check that physically the wiring connects tightly. Check also for signs of overheating or burning (which would happen if the connection was not good and there was sparking).

Is the terrain that you ride over mostly smooth, or are there cracks and gravel in the road?

Does the red light come on when you go over a bump?

If you are over 200 pounds, the tendency for wires to come loose is more common.

Feel free to write this on the main forum so that others can benefit from your experience.

Best wishes
Ben
rangr

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: new 2000x - old battery? Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Just got my 2000x off ebay-- in original packaging and looked new.
I charged it for a couple of hours, the charging light went green. I took it out and it took me one block (300 feet). Then the red blinking light came on. Turned it off, on again, and each time got maybe 15 feet out of it.
I'm leaving it to charge again, the seller emailed me that the battery might start to work again after a few charges/discharges.
I'm considering buying this battery pack, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190679270556&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_564wt_1413
but was wondering if anything else could be wrong with the motorboard-- don't want to spend money on the battery if something else might be the problem.
Thanks for any help!
Ben
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its certain that a new battery will only last 1 year with daily use and maybe 3-4 years on a shelf before it must be replaced. You may be able to stretch its life by balancing the pack. Use a voltmeter (if you know how) and check the charge of each individual cell and make sure it is equal.

The battery on ebay is a good one.
hengte

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: My motorboard is going red very quickly too! Reply with quote

I am facing the same problem from a new Motorboard 2000X.

It seemed fine when I received it. I managed to ride it for about 500 meters then it went red. From then on, regardless of how long I charge it, it will turn from green to red within 50meters of riding.

My first guess was that the original battery was too old. So I build a new pack of fresh batteries. With just the initial charge, it managed to run for about 200 meters. Now its back to the same sign of not being able to run beyond 50meters.

I am now suspecting that the charger may not have been working since day one.

I would be grateful if any current motorboard owners could answer the following questions:

1) Does the charger lights turn off if you switch on the power but do not plug it into the motorboard? As in, if the charger is not connected to the motorboard yet and you turn on the main power supply to the charger, will the led on the charger light up? Mine does not light up.

2) If the charger is connected to the main power supply only, and you measure the charger pins, is it supply to show 18V DC voltage? I managed to get a reading using a voltmeter for a very short while. From then on, I could not get any readings any more.

3) I have opened up the motorboard and checked that all wiring connections are in place and not loose. I cannot rule out the possibility of motor failure. However I did read somewhere that both motors have to run in sync, else it would trip with an error code. I did not see such tripping with my unit, so I assume that both my motors are fine. However, I still cannot rule out the circuit board as a potential problem. Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement circuit board? Anyone had experience replacing one?

4) With regards to a replacement charger. I have read that universal smart chargers work well. They are of course marginally cheaper than original Motorboard chargers. Are the universal smart chargers better or would it be better with the replacing with original chargers?

Thank you very much for your help.
Ben
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On both the 2000X and the 1500/2000XR chargers, the green lights should come on as soon as you plug it in, even if it is not connected to the motorboard.

Does you charger have three pins? The third is for a thermocouple to cut power if battery gets too hot. Maybe that circuit is broken/failing.
hengte

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply. Yes my charger has three pins.
I'm not good with electronics but I opened up the charger and it seems like the wires are still in tact.

I did a video to clarify on what I mean. So from the video below, is the green light supposed to turn on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muKOup7eS3k&feature=youtu.be

Secondly, if the charger is truly faulty, would it be better if I purchase a replacement original charger or purchase a universal charger?
hengte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone able to help me out by answering my previous post?
Smangerer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem when I got mine and thought it was a bad battery. I received a 50 dollar refund and left with a "dead" board.

I recently was thinking about it and opened up the board to find one of the connectors was visibly connected but one of the metal points was actually under the insulation sleeve of the other end. I plugged it in correctly and now I get a solid 2 miles or so with each charge.

Also the boards will cut out if going under 3 miles per hour by design.
Ben
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Keep in touch as you resolve your problem
Happy motorboarding!
Ben
AirWheelsAmerica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I didn't get 100 feet before the red light started blink Reply with quote

Ben wrote:
Hello,
Airwheel X8
I recently bought one on amazon. I received it, fully charged it the night before, then took it out for a spin. I turned it on and got the green light. I didn't get 100 feet before the red light started blinking and the scooter had no more power. Do I have a defective scooter? I know many consumers complained with similar issues, but I have a friend who has the scooter who loves it.

Any advice on how to fix this or should I just return it?

Thanks

Sounds like a product lemon problem to me. I've heard a lot of these builds come pretty shaky and aren't always the most reliable out of the box. Hope you got a different one that runs smooth!
Nicolson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben wrote:
If this happens the same with each charge, then the problem is probably an old battery. They must be replaced every two years or so. If each charge gets different mileage, then it is probably a loose connection.

Best wishes

Right, these batteries don't last very long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    motorboards.org Forum Index -> Roth Go Motorboard Repairs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: